DPS at Adobe MAX – 2013Posted: May 21, 2013
Did you miss the Digital Publishing Suite sessions at Adobe MAX? If so, fear not. Most have been recorded and are live on Adobe TV. The DPS team led a lot of great tutorials on using Digital Publishing Suite, and those recordings are listed at the bottom of this blog post. Send your graphic designers and developers to those links in case they want to learn how to use DPS with step-by-step instructions.
Leaders in digital publishing joined us to discuss their digital publishing strategy, and we are delighted to share a full video of their talks here.
Corporate Publishing Session: Engaging Your Customers and Employees with Mobile Apps
Watch the full length video on Adobe TV.
As we said in last week’s Corporate Publishing Summit recap, brands and businesses are using Digital Publishing Suite in a range of use cases that we hadn’t imagined when the product launched several years ago. The following DPS customers joined moderator Melissa Webster from IDC to share how they use DPS to build apps for their businesses.
- Jose Andrade from Publicis Life Brands Medicus and Brooke Entsminger from Lung LLC discussed how they use DPS for a medical sales tool.
- Christian Russo from Sotheby’s International Realty shared their privately published app delivered to their real estate network.
- Daniel Riley from UCLA School of Management showed us the alumni magazine, which is now only available on iPad.
Corporate Publishing: Key Takeaways
- Efficiency: The panelists use DPS as an efficient mobile app platform. For pharmaceutical companies, this efficiency allows them to make quick changes for the review committee. For Sotheby’s International Realty, this efficiency allows them to deliver three to four updates per month.
- Cost savings: UCLA has stopped printing its alumni magazine and only delivers it to alumni via iPad. Publicis and Sotheby’s International Realty have reduced printing costs by providing PDFs that the sales team can print if they choose.
- Analytics: Understanding app usage helps each of our panelists define the editorial strategy moving forward. Because this app is new to Sotheby’s International realty, the team is looking at the daily use increase and the percentage of network downloads in order to understand its acceptance in the field. Publicis and Lung LLC are looking at the level of interaction between the patient and physician.
- Marketing Mix: For UCLA, the DPS alumni magazine serves as a piece of the marketing mix, and the content is complemented by other activities conducted by the alumni office. However, Sotheby’s International Realty said that the app IS their marketing mix – in that it is the central means of communication with the field.
Magazine Publishing Session: From Print to Digital Media: Building a Digital Publishing Business
Watch the full length video on Adobe TV
Bill Mickey, Anthony Cerretani, and Meghan Milkowski
Publishing magazines on iPad has become much more mainstream than it was at the 2011 MAX conference. The community of publishers is beginning to set best practices, but the jury is still out on some issues. The following DPS customers joined Bill Mickey from Folio to discuss their digital publishing stories.
- Anthony Cerretani, Backpacker Magazine
- Meghan Milkowski, Prometheus Global Media (Billboard, Adweek, Hollywood Reporter)
Magazine Publishing: Key Takeaways
- Adoption of DPS: Active Interest Media (publisher of Backpacker) initiated a competition a few years ago to see which title could publish onto the iPad first. Evidently, the Backpacker team won. Cerretani’s team continues to push the envelope with our platform. At Prometheus, the creatives were champions of DPS, and because of their enthusiasm for the platform, they were willing to stay up late at night to figure out how to use it.
- Production: Neither publisher has hired new employees to create the digital magazine. Instead, both have built in efficiencies to deliver the print and digital magazine at the same time. While templates are helpful, both publishers indicated that the mindset of the production team has shifted to include both digital and print.
- Advertising: Backpacker and Prometheus encourage other publishers to sponsor special editions and magazine launches. Advertisers love being spotlighted in special issues.
- In-app marketing: Readers love special editions and back issues. Backpacker said that it was worth investing in PDF replicas of back issues since they are popular with existing iPad readers.
Other MAX Videos
- Be Seen on Every Screen: Publishing to Multiple Devices
- Building Tablet Applications Using InDesign and Digital Publishing Suite
- Empowered by Single Edition: Publishing on iPad
- Extending and Integrating Digital Publishing Suite
- The Meaning Behind the Metrics: Analytics in Digital Publishing Suite